Pages

Saturday 23 February 2013

Wai, oh Wai

One of the most integral parts of Thai culture (and general politeness) is the 'Wai', the traditional Thai greeting.

If you want to learn more about it taking a trip to ESL guru Kieron's website about the ins and outs of Thai culture is very handy. He'd appreciate it if you clicked on a few of the adverts also and so would I on this blog (as hitting my target of £60 keeps me out of the UK for another 2 days!) Alas, I don't feel that it is my purpose in life to educate people about important things. Instead I'm going to talk about my problem with 'the wai'.

The problem I have with 'the wai' is......... (drumroll)........

.......when somone 'wai's' me and I have to wai someone back..... I NEVER HAVE MY HANDS EMPTY (no laughing at the back!)

My laptop, my crash helmet (no laughing at the back), 5/1's homework, more blu-tac than a man can carry. None of which I can drop. This invariably leads to me giving them a slightly bent 'quarter wai' that can't be good for my spine and makes me look (and feel) stupid amongst my colleagues. A cup of coffee is particularly bad as it usually results is a spillage and stain that won't fade in the heat.

That leads me to the question? Why are all my Thai friends ready to 'wai' a a moments notice? They never have to awkwardly put something down. Is there some kind of secret utility belt that no one has told me about?

If you could point me in the correct direction that would be massively helpful.

However, an awkward wai is infinately better than an awkward handshake. Every morning... much to the amusement of my 3rd years, one of the older Thai teacher's approaches me, wai's me and then shakes my hand. .....

....initially it was charming. She obviously sees it as the correct proper way to great 'an Englishman' and I  appreciated it. However, the handshake is incredibly weak and lasts way too long.
It's not helped by the fact that she then procedes to tell me how unwell she is feeling. By rights she should be dead. A new symptom every day.... all due to the weather changing. I'm seriously considering opening a homeopathy clinc in PR.

Meanwhile, my 3rd year boys, who I discussed this with, are finding the whole exchange very amusing. They've done their research on the internet and know the significance of a weak hand handshake. "Teacher, Teacher.. why is handshake so weak?...Ladyboy?".

Thanks boys.

In the meantime please find a youtube video of the least classy wai you will ever see. It comes in at 0:55.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment